From: antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: tried desktop profile
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2020 20:02:49
1 On 14/10/2020 19:58, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2020-10-14, antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >
4 >> Does your mobo support NVMe drives? Just be aware my mobo is crap in
5 >> that it says it supports two graphics cards, NVMe, etc, but if you stick
6 >> an NVMe in the second graphics card is disabled, or if you use both the
7 >> NVMe slots you lose a couple of SATA ports, or whatever. Bit of a PoS in
8 >> that regard.
9 >
10 > I think that's pretty common. NVMe uses PCI-express channels that are
11 > often shared with one of the PCI-express "slots" on the motherboard.
12 > As a result you can't use both at the same time.
13 >
14 Is that the sign of a cheap/rubbishy mobo?
15
16 Which is why I'm somewhat pissed off with that motherboard and the shop...
17
18 I took in a home-built system - with a £90 Gigabyte mobo - and said "it
19 won't boot, I suspect the BIOS needs upgrading". When I went to fetch
20 it, they said "it won't boot, the mobo's duff, so we've replaced it".
21 They gave me the old mobo back, which I discovered was still under
22 warranty so I sent it off ... came back "nothing wrong, we've updated
23 the BIOS and it works fine" !!!
24
25 Bearing in mind (a) I need SATA ports for RAID, and (b) I want to run
26 double-headed so I need two graphics cards, I'm well pissed that they
27 charged me about £150 for the mobo (because they had difficulty finding
28 one with loads of SATA ports), but as soon as I stick the second
29 graphics card in some of the SATA ports stop working!
30
31 As far as I can tell the original Gigabyte has sufficient channels to
32 drive everything no problem! I won't be using THAT shop again ...
33
34 Still. The old mobo will be going in a new case (it wouldn't fit it my
35 spare) which will be a Coolermaster with room for plenty of 3.5 drives.
36 That'll become my testbed/dev machine, which will probably "break" at
37 regular intervals as it stress-tests the raid code.
38
39 I've bought a 2/4 port add-in SATA card for the system that's going to
40 be our main desktop. 2/4 because it's only got two SATA channels, but
41 they can go to either a SATA or eSATA port.
42
43 Cheers,
44 Wol