From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Beta test Gentoo with mdev instead of udev; version 5
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 20:29:50
1 On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 15:37:26 -0400 (EDT)
2 Daddy <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > We have spare parts so tomorrow I'll build a test machine. My Gentoo
5 > knowledge is quite limited, seeing as how we moved back after 9 years
6 > and had to start life over. But I can start by following this guide,
7 > and probably reading and learning about ebuilds. They're quite
8 > different from Slackware's build scripts, primarily due to dependency
9 > checking, etc.
10
11 Once you've got the hang of building a Gentoo system from scratch, the
12 best thing you can do is read all the man pages from portage and seeing
13 how that compares to what's in simple ebuilds.
14
15 ebuilds are quite straightforward, they all have a "global" section (my
16 phrase) defining various constants, and code sections for fetching,
17 unpacking, compiling, installing sources and the files to the live
18 system. Quite simple in concept.
19
20 The fun starts when ebuilds work fine and the dev's machine and get
21 published, but don;t do quite the same thing on your machine :-)
26 Alan McKinnnon
27 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com