From: Daddy <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Beta test Gentoo with mdev instead of udev; version 5
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 23:09:25
1 On March 11, 2012 at 4:27 PM Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 15:37:26 -0400 (EDT)
4 > Daddy <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 >
6 > > We have spare parts so tomorrow I'll build a test machine. My Gentoo
7 > > knowledge is quite limited, seeing as how we moved back after 9 years
8 > > and had to start life over. But I can start by following this guide,
9 > > and probably reading and learning about ebuilds. They're quite
10 > > different from Slackware's build scripts, primarily due to dependency
11 > > checking, etc.
12 >
13 > Once you've got the hang of building a Gentoo system from scratch, the
14 > best thing you can do is read all the man pages from portage and seeing
15 > how that compares to what's in simple ebuilds.
16 >
17 > ebuilds are quite straightforward, they all have a "global" section (my
18 > phrase) defining various constants, and code sections for fetching,
19 > unpacking, compiling, installing sources and the files to the live
20 > system. Quite simple in concept.
21 >
22 > The fun starts when ebuilds work fine and the dev's machine and get
23 > published, but don;t do quite the same thing on your machine :-)
27 > --
28 > Alan McKinnnon
29 > alan.mckinnon@×××××.com
33 The ebuild in my local overlay that evolved from an official one has EAPI=2
34
35 But when I issue "some.ebuild" it has EAPI=3 on this box. And iirc another
36 of my boxen has EAPI=4.
37
38 Yes, much studying yet to be done.