From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Looking for IMAP->IMAP spam filtering
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 17:02:04
1 On 2012-02-21, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
2
3 > Okay, I may have misunderstood your needs the first time around
4 > (blame it to not having my first cuppa tea of the day).
5 >
6 > So, you want to do these steps:
7 > - Pull email from an IMAP account in box A
8 > - Filter it in box B
9 > - Push it to box C
10
11 Skip the box B part. Pull an e-mail from IMAP mailbox A, filter it,
12 then either discard it or append it to IMAP mailbox C (with A and C
13 possibly on different servers).
14
15 > So, the third step is not an LDA.
16
17 Right. Nothing's local except the filtering.
18
19 > There are some alternatives, none of them are simple, though. The
20 > 'easiest' I think would be:
21 >
22 > - have fetchmail (on box B) pull email from box A, and deliver to local
23 > maildir (on B) via procmail+SA
24 >
25 > - have Dovecot watch the local maildir
26 >
27 > - have *another* fetchmail instance pull email from the local Dovecot and
28 > push it to an SMTP MTA on box C
29
30 If I'm going to use the SMTP server on box C, then I don't think
31 there's a need for the intermediate maildir stop, since I can have
32 procmail pipe the message to something like msmtp to deliver it to the
33 SMTP server. There are a couple problem with using the SMTP server.
34 The first is that you can't specify a mailbox. The big problem is
35 that the SMTP server may rewrite headers. For example, if it's gmail's
36 SMTP server, it will always muck up the From: header so the message
37 appars to be from the account that was used to log in to the SMTP
38 server (you loose the original From: header). Using the IMAP server
39 allows you to store a message an any folder you want and the headers
40 are unchanged.
41
42 > You can have multiple fetchmail daemons running at the same time by
43 > copying/symlinking the fetchmail initscript and creating a
44 > correspondent conf file. I've submitted a patch (that has been
45 > accepted into the tree) that allows multiple fetchmail daemons.
46
47 I think it would be simpler to write an LDA that delivers a message to
48 an IMAP mailbox and have procmail pipe messages to that for delivery.
49 It should only take a couple dozen lines of Python... (famous last words)
52 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! But was he mature
53 at enough last night at the
54 gmail.com lesbian masquerade?