From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] No room left on /boot
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2017 00:09:57
1 Marc Joliet wrote:
2 > On Sonntag, 5. März 2017 23:57:11 CET Dale wrote:
3 >> thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
4 > [...]
5 >>> Can I remove System.map files from /boot partition?
6 >>> I don't have any reference to these files in grub.conf.
7 > [...]
8 >> I'm pretty sure grub uses that file. I've never tested the theory.
9 > FTR: were this GRUB *2*, I'd say I'm pretty sure it doesn't, based on the fact
10 > that "System.map" doesn't show up in the GRUB info manual (which mentions
11 > "device map" files, which the System.map file is not) and the fact that I
12 > stopped installing it into /boot/, so I know that my systems boot without it.
13 > I don't know about the old GRUB, though, but I strongly suspect it doesn't use
14 > it, either.
15 >
16 > Quite frankly, I don't know how it would be useful for booting (it looks
17 > somewhat like objdump output). A quick "ag System.map" in the kernel sources
18 > leads me to believe that it is solely a debugging aid.
19 >
20 > [snip other stuff]
21 >
22 > Greetings
23
24 If it were grub2, I think you are right. I think the old version of
25 grub does use that tho. I think there is another file there that is
26 needed too. It's been a while since I used the old grub and I don't see
27 it in my directory anymore. I think those get installed when running
28 one of the grub commands.
29
30 Dale
31