From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] No room left on /boot
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2017 23:44:16
1 On Sonntag, 5. März 2017 23:57:11 CET Dale wrote:
2 > thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
3 [...]
4 > > Can I remove System.map files from /boot partition?
5 > > I don't have any reference to these files in grub.conf.
6 [...]
7 > I'm pretty sure grub uses that file. I've never tested the theory.
8
9 FTR: were this GRUB *2*, I'd say I'm pretty sure it doesn't, based on the fact
10 that "System.map" doesn't show up in the GRUB info manual (which mentions
11 "device map" files, which the System.map file is not) and the fact that I
12 stopped installing it into /boot/, so I know that my systems boot without it.
13 I don't know about the old GRUB, though, but I strongly suspect it doesn't use
14 it, either.
15
16 Quite frankly, I don't know how it would be useful for booting (it looks
17 somewhat like objdump output). A quick "ag System.map" in the kernel sources
18 leads me to believe that it is solely a debugging aid.
19
20 [snip other stuff]
21
22 Greetings
23 --
24 Marc Joliet
25 --
26 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
27 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup