From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] No room left on /boot
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2017 22:57:24
1 thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > On 03/05/2017 02:33 PM, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
3 >> After upgrading my machine. I rebooted, everything went as planned.
4 >> So I decided to upgrade to a newer kernel. I was using:
5 >> linux-3.10.7-gentoo-r1
6 >>
7 >> and decided to switch to:
8 >> linux-4.9.6-gentoo-r1
9 >>
10 >> I've done kernel upgrade many, many times so it was a routine procedure. When I re-booted the last thing on the screen were letter:
11 >>
12 >> "GRUB" and blank screen, not even a kernel selection.
13 >> I scramble, boot strap the system and copied two file in /boot/
14 >> kernel-old --> kernel-current
15 >> System.map-old --> System.map-current
16 >>
17 >> I was under impression that something is wrong with the current (newest kernel). But it seems to me I run out of room on the /boot partition.
18 >>
19 > [snip]
20 >> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2.9M Mar 5 11:03 System.map-current
21 >> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2.9M Mar 5 10:12 System.map-old
22 > [snip]
23 >
24 > Can I remove System.map files from /boot partition?
25 > I don't have any reference to these files in grub.conf.
26 >
27 > default 0
28 > timeout 30
29 > splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
30 >
31 > title Gentoo Current Kernel
32 > root (hd0,0)
33 > kernel /boot/kernel-current root=/dev/sda3 vga=normal
34 >
35 > title Gentoo Old Kernel
36 > root (hd0,0)
37 > kernel /boot/kernel-old root=/dev/sda3
38 >
39 > This would save me almost 6Mb
40 >
41 > --
42 > Thelma
43 >
44 > .
48 I'm pretty sure grub uses that file. I've never tested the theory.
49
50 Why such a small /boot? My OS is installed on a fairly small 160GB hard
51 drive. I made /boot about 400MBs and later wished it was bigger. I
52 later wanted to put a ISO image there for sysrescue. If I were to set
53 up a new system now with that same size or larger drive, I'd likely make
54 /boot 1GB and maybe even 2GBs in size. The amount of space is not that
55 large compared to the size of the hard drive. If one is pressed to save
56 space that bad on a system, maybe they need a larger drive??
57
58 You mentioned following a guide on that size. I have to ask, just how
59 old was that guide? I looked at the Gentoo install guide, it suggests
60 128MBs for /boot, which I think is to small. Whatever guide you were
61 using, it must be old and need some updating. I'm not sure I'd follow
62 that one until it was.
63
64 Dale
65