From: thelma@×××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] No room left on /boot
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2017 23:55:28
1 On 03/05/2017 03:57 PM, Dale wrote:
2 > thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
3 >> On 03/05/2017 02:33 PM, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
4 >>> After upgrading my machine. I rebooted, everything went as planned.
5 >>> So I decided to upgrade to a newer kernel. I was using:
6 >>> linux-3.10.7-gentoo-r1
7 >>>
8 >>> and decided to switch to:
9 >>> linux-4.9.6-gentoo-r1
10 >>>
11 >>> I've done kernel upgrade many, many times so it was a routine procedure. When I re-booted the last thing on the screen were letter:
12 >>>
13 >>> "GRUB" and blank screen, not even a kernel selection.
14 >>> I scramble, boot strap the system and copied two file in /boot/
15 >>> kernel-old --> kernel-current
16 >>> System.map-old --> System.map-current
17 >>>
18 >>> I was under impression that something is wrong with the current (newest kernel). But it seems to me I run out of room on the /boot partition.
19 >>>
20 >> [snip]
21 >>> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2.9M Mar 5 11:03 System.map-current
22 >>> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2.9M Mar 5 10:12 System.map-old
23 >> [snip]
24 [snip]
27 > I'm pretty sure grub uses that file. I've never tested the theory.
28 >
29 > Why such a small /boot? My OS is installed on a fairly small 160GB hard
30 > drive. I made /boot about 400MBs and later wished it was bigger. I
31 > later wanted to put a ISO image there for sysrescue. If I were to set
32 > up a new system now with that same size or larger drive, I'd likely make
33 > /boot 1GB and maybe even 2GBs in size. The amount of space is not that
34 > large compared to the size of the hard drive. If one is pressed to save
35 > space that bad on a system, maybe they need a larger drive??
36 >
37 > You mentioned following a guide on that size. I have to ask, just how
38 > old was that guide? I looked at the Gentoo install guide, it suggests
39 > 128MBs for /boot, which I think is to small. Whatever guide you were
40 > using, it must be old and need some updating. I'm not sure I'd follow
41 > that one until it was.
42 >
43 > Dale
44 >
46
47 The System.map is needed, especially by VirtualBox so getting rid of
48 this file is not a good idea.
49 Yes, now it the /boot partition is 128MB but back few years ago was 30MB
50
51 If I'll be redoing it I'll make it 1GB
54 Thelma