From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] No room left on /boot
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2017 06:23:09
1 On March 6, 2017 12:43:50 AM GMT+01:00, Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de> wrote:
2 >On Sonntag, 5. März 2017 23:57:11 CET Dale wrote:
3 >> thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
4 >[...]
5 >> > Can I remove System.map files from /boot partition?
6 >> > I don't have any reference to these files in grub.conf.
7 >[...]
8 >> I'm pretty sure grub uses that file. I've never tested the theory.
9 >
10 >FTR: were this GRUB *2*, I'd say I'm pretty sure it doesn't, based on
11 >the fact
12 >that "System.map" doesn't show up in the GRUB info manual (which
13 >mentions
14 >"device map" files, which the System.map file is not) and the fact that
15 >I
16 >stopped installing it into /boot/, so I know that my systems boot
17 >without it.
18 >I don't know about the old GRUB, though, but I strongly suspect it
19 >doesn't use
20 >it, either.
21 >
22 >Quite frankly, I don't know how it would be useful for booting (it
23 >looks
24 >somewhat like objdump output). A quick "ag System.map" in the kernel
25 >sources
26 >leads me to believe that it is solely a debugging aid.
27 >
28 >[snip other stuff]
29 >
30 >Greetings
31
32 With grub legacy and grub2 I never bothered with the System.map file.
33
34 I only copied the kernel image and, when used, the initramfs...
37 Joost
38 --
39 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.