From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] autofs + usb device issue
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 23:06:22
1 On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 23:33:54 +0200, Pawe__ Madej wrote:
2
3 > I'll describe my situation: My laptop has only one usb port and
4 > normally I have plugged to it my mouse. When I want to copy photos from
5 > my digital camera I have to unplug mouse and plug usb cable to camera.
6
7 Wouldn't it be easier to buy a small USB hub?
8
9 > 1. I plug camera and I got it under /dev/sda1 device
10 > 2. I unplug it and plug once more ... this time it is the
11 > same /dev/sda1 device
12 > 3. I uplug it once more and plug my mouse and unplug it
13 > 4. I plug my camera and this time it is under /dev/sdb1 device
14
15 Use udev to set up persistent device names, base don the device itself,
16 not when it was plugged in. Then your camera would always appear
17 as /dev/camera, or whatever name you choose.
18
19 Read http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/udev-guide.xml then follow the link to
20 writing udev rules at the bottom.
24 Neil Bothwick
25
26 Normality is restored. Any problems remaining are your own.