From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Intel SRT + SSD + SATA
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 14:29:06
1 On Wednesday 26 Jun 2013 09:17:37 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 26/06/2013 08:32, J. Roeleveld wrote:
3
4 > > Can you give me the full speclist of your machine with the part-numbers?
5 > > I am checking if a new machine will fit my budget and your workload looks
6 > > similar to mine :)
7 >
8 > It's a Dell Precision M4600, and you find it in the Workstation section
9 > on Dell's website. It's since been superceded by the M4700 which is
10 > really just a point upgrade.
11 >
12 > CPU:
13 > processor : 0
14 > vendor_id : GenuineIntel
15 > cpu family : 6
16 > model : 42
17 > model name : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2720QM CPU @ 2.20GHz
18
19 I am using the 1st generation of the same CPU on I guess an older dell studio
20 XPS:
21
22 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60GHz
23
24 > cpu prices vary hugely so I picked a mid-range i7 and used the saving to
25 > get 16G ram and maxed out the storage.
26 > ATI display to get away from nVidia, I think that was a mistake and next
27 > time will be going back to nVidia whose power management actually works.
28 > There was some uber-fancy active display on offer too, but I don't need
29 > that
30
31 Have you tried to change the default power setting for your video card?
32
33 I have this card:
34
35 *-display
37 product: RV730/M96-XT [Mobility Radeon HD 4670]
38 vendor: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI
39 physical id: 0
40 bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
41 version: 00
42 width: 32 bits
43 clock: 33MHz
44 capabilities: pm pciexpress msi vga_controller bus_master
45 cap_list rom
46 configuration: driver=radeon latency=0
47 resources: irq:45 memory:d0000000-dfffffff
48 ioport:2000(size=256) memory:cfef0000-cfefffff memory:cfe00000-cfe1ffff
49
50 and have this little file auto-switching my video cards fan from running non-
51 stop:
52
53 cat /etc/local.d/set_radeon_power_profile.start
54 echo auto > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_profile
55
56 Apparently, the binary fglrx driver manages power switching more effectively,
57 but with the radeon driver you'll need to switch it yourself. I can't recall
58 what I might have had to enable in the kernel, but if you can't get it going
59 let me know and I'll poke around my .config.
62 > Battery life is shocking :-), make sure you get 9-cell high capacity
63 > batteries, my standard 6 cell has *<60 minutes* life. The wife has one
64 > too and her's lasts about 100 minutes using Windows
65
66 I have the 9-cell battery and it lasts > than 60 minutes while playing video,
67 browsing, emailing, opening and closing spreadsheets, etc. despite being
68 almost 4 years old. Since I've set it to auto for video card power management
69 the battery last longer.
72 Regards,
73 Mick