From: Corbin Bird <corbinbird@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] alsamixer and pulseaudio - which is at fault?
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2016 18:27:37
1 On 12/29/2016 07:21 AM, Mick wrote:
2 > Hi All,
3 >
4 > My sound has been behaving erratically for a while now, probably since
5 > pulseaudio started being shipped with various desktop applications. This is
6 > what I am talking about:
7 >
8 > Sound level undesirable
9 > ==============
10 > Kmail pops up a warning and the sound level is 100%. The first time. On the
11 > second warning when it happens a couple of seconds later, the sound level is
12 > back down to normal levels, say 55%. Without me interfering with any audio
13 > settings.
14 >
15 > Some time later another warning pops up and this time the sound may be normal,
16 > a second warning a couple of seconds later may be back to 100%. It appears to
17 > me as if sound levels generated by dekstop/application warnings are adjusted
18 > dynamically on the fly and at will, but not my will ...
19 >
20 > Non-KDE applications, e.g. Pidgin bleep at top volume when IMs are
21 > sent/received. Adjusting their volume thankfully sticks, at least for the
22 > desktop session in question.
25 > Alsamixer
26 > ======
27 > Running alsamixer shows:
28 >
29 > Card: PulseAudio
30 > Chip: PulseAudio
31 >
32 > with a single Master bar for adjusting the volume. Selecting F6 shows Sound
33 > Card set to (default), with 'HDA Intel MID' and 'HDA ATI HDMI' below it. When
34 > I select 0 for 'HDA Intel MID' I get all my familiar alsamixer settings back
35 > including Master, Headphones, Speaker, PCM, Mic, etc.
36 >
37 > Adjusting these allow me to arrive at sane volume levels as used to be the
38 > case in the past. However, the annoying thing is these settings do not stick
39 > between reboots.
42 > On another laptop with a different audio card, things are even stranger. The
43 > card pops/crackles at boot time, but all sound is dead unless and until I run
44 > alsactl init. Then if the sound gets quite loud, e.g. the other side of a
45 > Skype call raises their voice above a certain level, all sound is lost until I
46 > run alsactl init again. This is becoming tedious to say the least.
49 > Have you noticed anything similar to either of the above problems ? What may
50 > be causing these problems and are there any fixes/workarounds? I honestly
51 > can't recall sound ever being such a pain on my systems.
54 Link :
55 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/ALSA
56
57 The link above is a good way to start. ( troubleshooting as well )
58 Gentoo has a boot shell script that does the "alsactl init" and shutdown
59 for you. ( media-sound/alsa-utils )
60 Just be sure you also take a look at "/etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf" and
61 make the required changes there as well.