From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: want to upgrade 50 month old installation
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2015 18:06:52
1 On Tuesday 04 Aug 2015 18:20:40 Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2015-08-04, Felix Miata <mrmazda@×××××××××.net> wrote:
3 > > That's right, May 2011, my first and only Gentoo installation, 32 bit on
4 > > an old Athlon, which means no sse2, and kernel 2.6.37. It coexists in
5 > > multiboot on one HD with 12 installations of Fedora and openSUSE. I'd
6 > > like to upgrade it rather than installing fresh,
7 >
8 > Can we ask why?
9 >
10 > > if it's doable.
11 >
12 > It probably is (for some degnerate value of "doable").
13 >
14 > My gut feeling is that a fresh install is going to be a _lot_ easier
15 > and faster. A fresh install will take a couple hours. An upgrade will
16 > take somewhere between a couple days and a couple weeks.
17
18 +1
19
20 Back up your /var/lib/portage/world and /etc, then use a LiveCD to follow the
21 Gentoo handbook. After you download and untar a stage 3 filesystem you can
22 copy back your /var/lib/portage/world, build a new kernel and
23
24 emerge -uaDv world
27 You can use your old config files in your /etc back up to make any quick edits
28 necessary on your new installation.
29 --
30 Regards,
31 Mick