From: "»Q«" <boxcars@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Fwd: [gentoo-dev] Package up for grabs: sys-boot/gummiboot
Date: Wed, 25 May 2016 22:25:12
1 On Mon, 23 May 2016 22:08:20 -0500
2 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Jonathan Callen wrote:
5 > > On 05/23/2016 12:39 AM, Dale wrote:
6
7 > >>> --
8
9 > >> P. S. I'm not sure how this is going to be formatted. It looks odd
10 > >> at the moment. :/
11 > >
12 > > The magic to getting things like this to format correctly is to
13 > > remove the line that is exactly "-- " (dash-dash-space) and
14 > > everything following it -- or to ensure that that line is quoted
15 > > somehow. Most text email clients treat that string as a signature
16 > > indicator, and assume that everything following it isn't very
17 > > important, just boilerplate.
18 >
19 > My concern was whether it would show what was my text and what was the
20 > original since they both looked the same. It didn't quote like it
21 > normally would but it is fairly obvious as to who said what.
22
23 Not to me, since I have my client configured not to display
24 signatures. All I say was the forwarded post, with none of your new
25 text. If Johnathan hadn't pointed out what happened, I'd never have
26 known there was any new text from you.
27
28 Just removing the trailing space from the "-- " line is enough to
29 prevent automagic signature detection, and leaving the "--" makes it
30 clear that it was originally a sig.