From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Oddities in apache2 update, other init bizarrity.
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 16:45:30
1 > Stable x86 just got a new apache server, and it's puzzling me.
2 >
3 > For one thing, /etc/conf.d/apache2 now ends with this
4 >
5 > # Environment variables to keep
6 > # All environment variables are cleared from apache
7 > # Use this to preserve some of them
8 > # NOTE!!! It's very important that this contains PATH
9 > # TODO: Phase this out in favor of /etc/conf.d/env_whitelist
10 > #KEEPENV="PATH"
11 >
12 > It has said all along that it's important to have PATH, but now it's
13 > commented out without any replacement in env_whitelist.
14 > Moreover, there's no example in env_whitelist to show the syntax. I just
15 > put PATH in there on a line of its own, and hoped for the best.
16 >
17 > The bigger puzzle is this one: I can't stop apache because it can't be
18 > found, but I also can't start it because it's already running. It is in
19 > fact running and serving web pages. But I'd like the init stuff to be a lot
20 > more consistent.
21
22 I had the same problem yesterday, but rebooting the machine fixed it.
23 As for the KEEPENV, I was puzzled by that too but I didn't add
24 anything to env_whitelist and I left KEEPENV commented. Everything
25 seems to be fine.
26
27 Today apache2 wants to upgrade to 2.2.4-r12. I've got cold feet.
28 Anyone tried this yet?
29
30 - Grant
31 --