From: tastytea <gentoo@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox to LOCalc characterset translation
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 22:32:38
1 On 2022-03-27 23:13+0100 Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Sunday, 27 March 2022 23:04:21 BST tastytea wrote:
4 > > On 2022-03-27 22:35+0100 Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > > > I can't explain why the following cut 'n paste problem happens
6 > > > when I select some symbols within text in Firefox and then try to
7 > > > insert by middle-click in LibreOffice Calc.
8 > > >
9 > > > If I select the symbols for £ (GBP), or € (Euro) and middle click
10 > > > upon a cell in LOCalc, a window pops up asking "Select the
11 > > > Language to Use for Import". I leave it to "Automatic" which is
12 > > > the default setting and the symbol plus any text is pasted with
13 > > > the same format as the webpage. The symbols are then displayed
14 > > > correctly in LOCalc.
15 > > >
16 > > > However, if I enter a cell by double clicking on it, or by
17 > > > clicking in the edit bar, then middle click to enter the
18 > > > selection, both £ and € symbols are entered in some strange code
19 > > > - e.g. \u20ac
20 > >
21 > > I don't know why it is doing that or how to fix it, but the strange
22 > > code is a unicode code point. You can enter it in many terminal
23 > > emulators by pressing Control + Shift + u and then 20ac + Enter or
24 > > display it with echo "\u20ac".
25 > >
26 > > Kind regards, tastytea
27 >
28 > Hmm ... I wonder if my setup is wrong? This is what I get in UXterm
29 > and Konsole:
30 >
31 > $ echo "\u20ac"
32 > \u20ac
33
34 Ah sorry, in bash that's echo -e "\u20ac". I was testing with zsh,
35 where -e is enabled by default.
36
37 > My locale.gen contains "en_GB.UTF-8 UTF-8" so I naively assumed
38 > applications would be able to translate code into characters. Well,
39 > other applications do with LOCalc, but Firefox won't. :-/