From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox to LOCalc characterset translation
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 22:13:24
1 On Sunday, 27 March 2022 23:04:21 BST tastytea wrote:
2 > On 2022-03-27 22:35+0100 Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > > I can't explain why the following cut 'n paste problem happens when I
4 > > select some symbols within text in Firefox and then try to insert by
5 > > middle-click in LibreOffice Calc.
6 > >
7 > > If I select the symbols for £ (GBP), or € (Euro) and middle click
8 > > upon a cell in LOCalc, a window pops up asking "Select the Language
9 > > to Use for Import". I leave it to "Automatic" which is the default
10 > > setting and the symbol plus any text is pasted with the same format
11 > > as the webpage. The symbols are then displayed correctly in LOCalc.
12 > >
13 > > However, if I enter a cell by double clicking on it, or by clicking
14 > > in the edit bar, then middle click to enter the selection, both £ and
15 > > € symbols are entered in some strange code - e.g. \u20ac
16 >
17 > I don't know why it is doing that or how to fix it, but the strange code
18 > is a unicode code point. You can enter it in many terminal emulators by
19 > pressing Control + Shift + u and then 20ac + Enter or display it with
20 > echo "\u20ac".
21 >
22 > Kind regards, tastytea
23
24 Hmm ... I wonder if my setup is wrong? This is what I get in UXterm and
25 Konsole:
26
27 $ echo "\u20ac"
28 \u20ac
31 My locale.gen contains "en_GB.UTF-8 UTF-8" so I naively assumed applications
32 would be able to translate code into characters. Well, other applications do
33 with LOCalc, but Firefox won't. :-/