From: Gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to convert and watch dav video file?
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 21:12:43
1 On Fri, 17 Jan 2014 17:00:21 +0000 Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2
3 > On 16 Jan 2014, at 12:19 pm, Gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 > > I have to watch a lot of dav video files and possibly convert
6 > > them to a more common video format like avi or mp4.
7 > > ...
8 > > P.S. My vlc does not understands this format.
9 >
10 > Have you tried viewing them in mplayer?
11
12 Yes, I have just emerged it (with the default use flags)
13 but it does not play dav video files properly.
14
15 > IMO ffmpeg or mplayer are the correct tools for conversion - my
16 > instinct says that Handbrake is not.
17 >
18 > In another comment you report some error messages. I think your video
19 > files are recordings created by a handheld video camera - it's
20 > possible there are bugs in the video it creates.
21
22 I think you are right.
23
24 Actually, I had the same thoughts but was not sure.
25
26 The videos are produced by a surveillance digital video recorder.
27
28 > At least if you use ffmpeg you'll be aware of these warnings - if the
29 > converted video plays, then fine, but at least you have the
30 > opportunity to tweak the settings and reduce the errors to the
31 > minimum. I think a GUI app like Handbrake will only hide the errors
32 > from you.
33
34 avi files created by ffmpeg are played ok both by vlc and mplayer.
35
36 So, I think that I have to convert them first and then use vlc.
37
38 Thank you for your help.
39
40 And thanks to all who replyed to this thread, as well. :)