From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Assistance if possible
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 13:22:50
1 On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 09:10:07 -0400
2 Colleen Beamer <colleen.beamer@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On 03/18/12 08:55, Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 > > On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 00:15:10 -0400
6 > > Colleen Beamer <colleen.beamer@×××××.com> wrote:
7 > >
8 > >> Hi,
9 > >>
10 > >> All of you guys that are more experienced and technical than I am
11 > >> will probably laugh at me. However ....
12 > >>
13 > >> Today, I wanted to update my computer. I got all kinds of messages
14 > >> related to kde stuff. One my one, I unmerged the offending packages
15 > >> and added the line to my package.keywords file so that an upgrade
16 > >> of a package masked by keyword would be installed.
17 > >>
18 > >> However, activitymanager can't be reinstalled because there isn't
19 > >> an upgrade to 4.8.1. Since I went about things the way I did, I
20 > >> can't get this package installed because everything else is
21 > >> upgraded to 4.8.1 and activitymanager's latest version is 4.7.4.
22 > >
23 > > I believe activitymanager is now part of kactivities.
24 > >
25 > > So just unmerge activitymanager and let the ebuilds figure it out.
26 > >
27 > > You probably have activitymanager in world so portage tries to
28 > > explicitly pull it in.
31 > Yes, I have activity manager in world, but I've unmasked all kde
32 > packages for version 4.8.1 and because of that, I can't get
33 > activitymanager installed because the latest verion for that is only
34 > 4.7.4 and I get told kactivities-4.8.1 blocks activitymanager.. I can
35 > get into KDE after my upgrade, but I can't move windows around, nor
36 > close or resize them. So I assume activitymanager is somehow needed.
39 Not quite. activitymanager is being pulled in not because it is needed,
40 but because you told portage to do it regardless of what portage thinks
41 (that's what happens when you put things in world).
42
43 In this case, portage actually does know better than you.
44
45 Just unmerge activitymanager entirely and let portage figure it out.
46 The software you want will be installed but as part of kactivities
47 (apparently the variosu KDE and Gentoo devs moved stuff around and
48 renamed things. It happens.)
52 Alan McKinnnon
53 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com