From: antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SDD strategies...
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2020 15:57:01
1 On 17/03/2020 05:59, tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > currentlu I am setting up a new PC for my 12-years old one,
5 > which has reached the limits of its "computational power" :)
6 >
7 > SSDs are a common replacement for HDs nowaday -- but I still trust my
8 > HDs more than this "flashy" things...call me retro or oldschool, but
9 > it my current "Bauchgefühl" (gut feeling).
10
11 Can't remember where it was - some mag ran a stress-test on a bunch of
12 SSDs and they massively outlived their rated lives ... I think even the
13 first to fail survived about 18months of continuous hammering - and I
14 mean hammering!
15 >
16 > To reduce write cycles to the SSD, which are quite a lot when using
17 > UNIX/Limux (logging etc) and especially GENTOO (compiling sources
18 > instead of using binary packages -- which is GOOD!), I am planning
19 > the following setup:
20 >
21 > The sustem will boot from SSD.
22 >
23 > The HD will contain the whole system including the complete root
24 > filesustem. Updateing, installing via Gentoo tools will run using
25 > the HD. If that process has ended, I will rsync the HD based root
26 > fileystem to the SSD.
27
28 Whatever for?
29 >
30 > Folders, which will be written to by the sustem while running will
31 > be symlinked to the HD.
32 >
33 > This should work...?
34 >
35 > Or is there another idea to setup a system which will benefit from
36 > the advantages of a SSD by avoiding its disadvantages?
37
38 If you've got both an SSD and an HD, just use the HD for swap, /tmp,
39 /var/tmp/portage (possibly the whole of /var/tmp), and any other area
40 where you consider files to be temporary.
41 >
42 > Background: I am normally using a PC a long time and try to avoid
43 > buying things for reasons like being more modern or being newer.
44 >
45 > Any idea to setup such a sustem is heardly welcone -- thank you
46 > very much in advance!
47 >
48 Why waste time and effort for a complex setup when it's going to gain
49 you bugger all.
50
51 The only thing I would really advise for is that (a) you think about
52 some form of journalling - LVM or btrfs - for your root file-system to
53 protect against a messed up upgrade - take a snapshot, upgrade, and if
54 anything goes wrong it's an easy roll-back.
55
56 Likewise, do the same for the rotating rust, and use that to back up
57 /home - you can use some option to rsync that only over-writes what's
58 changed, so you do a "snapshot then back up" and have loads of backups
59 going back however far ...
60
61 Cheers,
62 Wol