From: Michael Sullivan <michael@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT - Why is Gentoo so slow when internet is out? + question
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 00:35:48
1 On Mon, 2005-11-28 at 18:11 -0600, Dale wrote:
2 > Ognjen Bezanov wrote:
3 >
4 > > I dont want to have to come home and ssh in to restart everytime my
5 > > ISP reboots its M$ Servers.
6 >
7 > It's funny that you say that. One of the first things I asked my ISP
8 > when I was looking for one, what OS do you use? If they didn't use
9 > *nix, I was going to keep looking. It is very rare that I have any
10 > trouble either.
11 >
12 > Another thing I like about mine is the service. When I call them, I get
13 > a live human being that answers the phone. They don't have a automated
14 > thingy, just people. I have talked to the owner once and have actually
15 > had the guys that run the network to call me for help. I am the only
16 > one that runs Linux with the logs turned on and it gives them a lot of
17 > info if they are having any connection problems. I guess windoze
18 > doesn't. They call me and get me to connect and see what happens. If I
19 > can't connect, I call them back and read them the log files and the boo
20 > boo message. They had the login/password file get borked once. They
21 > said it was there but it was messed up. They took the one from their
22 > back-ups and up it went. We were surfing again. :)
23 >
24 > Ever consider switching ISPs or are you stuck with the one you have?
25 > I'll switch for DSL but that is about it. Dial-up sucks, 26K is all I
26 > get here.
27 >
28 > Dale
30 >
31 > --
32 > To err is human, I'm most certainly human.
33
34 My wife says that we can try SBC DSL after the new year starts (when we
35 can afford it.) I just hope that I can get everything converted over to
36 PPP....
42 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list