From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT - Why is Gentoo so slow when internet is out? + question
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 00:16:40
1 Ognjen Bezanov wrote:
2
3 > I dont want to have to come home and ssh in to restart everytime my
4 > ISP reboots its M$ Servers.
5
6 It's funny that you say that. One of the first things I asked my ISP
7 when I was looking for one, what OS do you use? If they didn't use
8 *nix, I was going to keep looking. It is very rare that I have any
9 trouble either.
10
11 Another thing I like about mine is the service. When I call them, I get
12 a live human being that answers the phone. They don't have a automated
13 thingy, just people. I have talked to the owner once and have actually
14 had the guys that run the network to call me for help. I am the only
15 one that runs Linux with the logs turned on and it gives them a lot of
16 info if they are having any connection problems. I guess windoze
17 doesn't. They call me and get me to connect and see what happens. If I
18 can't connect, I call them back and read them the log files and the boo
19 boo message. They had the login/password file get borked once. They
20 said it was there but it was messed up. They took the one from their
21 back-ups and up it went. We were surfing again. :)
22
23 Ever consider switching ISPs or are you stuck with the one you have?
24 I'll switch for DSL but that is about it. Dial-up sucks, 26K is all I
25 get here.
26
27 Dale
28 :) :)
31 To err is human, I'm most certainly human.
36 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list