From: Ognjen Bezanov <ognjen@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT - Why is Gentoo so slow when internet is out? + question
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 23:02:25
1 Dale wrote:
2
3 >Danyelle Gragsone wrote:
7 >>to me.. linux in general has always ran slow if the net connection
8 >>goes out. It might be constantly trying to access the internet.
9 >>Kinda like the a cell phones battery dies alot faster when it cant
10 >>connect to a tower. It just keeps trying til it gets something or the
11 >>phone dies.
15 >That's funny. I'm on dial-up and I see no difference at all. I even
16 >run ntp which sets my clock and keeps it on track for me and there is no
17 >difference when I am connected and when I am not.
18 >
19 >Yes, I have three network cards installed and running all the time. I
20 >do have a local LAN here with three other rigs connected.
21 >
22 >This is not making sense. If what you guys are saying is correct,
23 >people on dial-up can't use Linux. That's not right.
24 >
25 >Dale
26 >:-)
30 I have a gentoo system (Actually I have four of them) and they dont
31 experience a slowdown when my internet connection goes down (which it
32 invariably does because my ISP reboots its servers every 28 days as a
33 policy, thereby disconnecting me ). Chances are its a particular program
34 thats trying to connect to the net and failing, thereby using cycles in
35 new attempts.
36
37 While we are at it, does there exist a program that can monitor my
38 internet connection and run a script if the net is down (like a restart
39 script)? I dont want to have to come home and ssh in to restart
40 everytime my ISP reboots its M$ Servers.
43 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list