From: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT - Why is Gentoo so slow when internet is out? + question
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 23:29:21
1 On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 22:43:01 +0000
2 Ognjen Bezanov wrote:
5 > I have a gentoo system (Actually I have four of them) and they dont
6 > experience a slowdown when my internet connection goes down (which it
7 > invariably does because my ISP reboots its servers every 28 days as a
8 > policy, thereby disconnecting me ). Chances are its a particular program
9 > thats trying to connect to the net and failing, thereby using cycles in
10 > new attempts.
11 >
12 > While we are at it, does there exist a program that can monitor my
13 > internet connection and run a script if the net is down (like a restart
14 > script)? I dont want to have to come home and ssh in to restart
15 > everytime my ISP reboots its M$ Servers.
16
17 many programs do a dns lookup on connection, to see who is trying to
18 connect. It should be managed on your lan with /etc/hosts if you have it
19 sorted properly.
20
21 can you ping via name to other machines on your lan?
24 > --
25 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
28 Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list