From: Michael Sullivan <michael@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT - Why is Gentoo so slow when internet is out? + question
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 00:04:00
1 On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 12:24 +1300, Nick Rout wrote:
2 > On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 22:43:01 +0000
3 > Ognjen Bezanov wrote:
6 > > I have a gentoo system (Actually I have four of them) and they dont
7 > > experience a slowdown when my internet connection goes down (which it
8 > > invariably does because my ISP reboots its servers every 28 days as a
9 > > policy, thereby disconnecting me ). Chances are its a particular program
10 > > thats trying to connect to the net and failing, thereby using cycles in
11 > > new attempts.
12 > >
13 > > While we are at it, does there exist a program that can monitor my
14 > > internet connection and run a script if the net is down (like a restart
15 > > script)? I dont want to have to come home and ssh in to restart
16 > > everytime my ISP reboots its M$ Servers.
17 >
18 > many programs do a dns lookup on connection, to see who is trying to
19 > connect. It should be managed on your lan with /etc/hosts if you have it
20 > sorted properly.
21 >
22 > can you ping via name to other machines on your lan?
23
24 Yes I can.
27 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list