From: John Jolet <john@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT - Why is Gentoo so slow when internet is out? + question
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 01:00:36
1 On Monday 28 November 2005 17:58, Michael Sullivan wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 12:24 +1300, Nick Rout wrote:
3 > > On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 22:43:01 +0000
4 > >
5 > > Ognjen Bezanov wrote:
6 > > > I have a gentoo system (Actually I have four of them) and they dont
7 > > > experience a slowdown when my internet connection goes down (which it
8 > > > invariably does because my ISP reboots its servers every 28 days as a
9 > > > policy, thereby disconnecting me ). Chances are its a particular
10 > > > program thats trying to connect to the net and failing, thereby using
11 > > > cycles in new attempts.
12 > > >
13 > > > While we are at it, does there exist a program that can monitor my
14 > > > internet connection and run a script if the net is down (like a restart
15 > > > script)? I dont want to have to come home and ssh in to restart
16 > > > everytime my ISP reboots its M$ Servers.
17 >
18 ifplugd works, at least at the ethernet level.
19 >
20 > > many programs do a dns lookup on connection, to see who is trying to
21 > > connect. It should be managed on your lan with /etc/hosts if you have it
22 > > sorted properly.
23 > >
24 > > can you ping via name to other machines on your lan?
25 >
26 > Yes I can.
29 John Jolet
30 Your On-Demand IT Department