From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: USE flags handling
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 18:27:50
1 On 30/07/2014 20:02, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
4 > This 'de-bloat' crap - who came up with that? People who use it all the
5 > times seldomly realize that the 'small and unbloated' software they use
6 > is in a lot of cases neither small, nor not bloated.
12 Usually it comes from the same headspace that ricing comes from. Humans
13 are all about perception, very very very few of them can actually look
14 at things in an unbiased way. So it goes like this:
15
16 User hates Gnome. [opinion]
17 User decides that because Gnome integrates so many things vertically
18 then Gnome must necessarily be bloated. [invalid conclusion not backed
19 up by facts]
20 User decides to try Razor|LXDE|Enlightenment|*box|whatever [valid activity]
21 User likes <whatever> [opinion]
22 User concludes that <whatever> is therefore "better" than Gnome
23 [erronously equate specific opinion with fact for the general case]
24 Therefore <whatever> is not bloated and Gnome is, to satisfy wrong
25 conclusion at #2 [I can't even begin to think what fallacy this is]
28 Not much opinion in any of that.
29 We humans are mostly hard-wired to react based on past experience and
30 data blindly accepted as fact in the past. 9 times out of 10 this helps
31 you leap out of the way of the tiger seeking to have you for lunch. You
32 got this ability from dad's genes and it must be raising the odds for
33 you and he otherwise he wouldn't have survived long enough to sire you.
34 If you stop to think about the tiger, he is for sure going to have a
35 nice lunch. So we humans that survived did so by jumping to conclusions
36 and having them work out OK on average. This new-fangled idea of
37 actually thinking about things all the way through is a very new idea,
38 and most of the species hasn't gotten the hang of it yet.
39
40 So now you know why ricers swear blind that -pipe in CFLAGS "*doubles*
41 the running speed, dude!"
45 Alan McKinnon
46 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com