From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: USE flags handling
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 20:18:23
1 On Wednesday 30 July 2014 20:26:48 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 30/07/2014 20:02, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 > > This 'de-bloat' crap - who came up with that? People who use it all the
4 > > times seldomly realize that the 'small and unbloated' software they use
5 > > is in a lot of cases neither small, nor not bloated.
6 >
7 > Usually it comes from the same headspace that ricing comes from. Humans
8 > are all about perception, very very very few of them can actually look
9 > at things in an unbiased way. So it goes like this:
10 >
11 > User hates Gnome. [opinion]
12 > User decides that because Gnome integrates so many things vertically
13 > then Gnome must necessarily be bloated. [invalid conclusion not backed
14 > up by facts]
15 > User decides to try Razor|LXDE|Enlightenment|*box|whatever [valid activity]
16 > User likes <whatever> [opinion]
17 > User concludes that <whatever> is therefore "better" than Gnome
18 > [erronously equate specific opinion with fact for the general case]
19 > Therefore <whatever> is not bloated and Gnome is, to satisfy wrong
20 > conclusion at #2 [I can't even begin to think what fallacy this is]
23 > Not much opinion in any of that.
24 > We humans are mostly hard-wired to react based on past experience and
25 > data blindly accepted as fact in the past. 9 times out of 10 this helps
26 > you leap out of the way of the tiger seeking to have you for lunch. You
27 > got this ability from dad's genes and it must be raising the odds for
28 > you and he otherwise he wouldn't have survived long enough to sire you.
29 > If you stop to think about the tiger, he is for sure going to have a
30 > nice lunch. So we humans that survived did so by jumping to conclusions
31 > and having them work out OK on average. This new-fangled idea of
32 > actually thinking about things all the way through is a very new idea,
33 > and most of the species hasn't gotten the hang of it yet.
34
35 This does still seem to be a valid survival requirement for a large part of
36 the worlds population though, including where you are.
37 For people living in a "so-called" civilized world, tigers are only found
38 inside places commonly called a "zoo" :)
39
40 > So now you know why ricers swear blind that -pipe in CFLAGS "*doubles*
41 > the running speed, dude!"
42
43 It does!
44 I enabled -pipe in my CFLAGS and all the software was running a lot faster on
45 my new machine compared to my old one ;)
48 Joost