From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Nvidia and optimus
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 09:50:28
1 On Wednesday, December 17, 2014 12:53:10 PM behrouz khosravi wrote:
2 > > What would you consider better support?
3 > > The way it works currently is how it's working with MS Windows (as
4 > > provided by
5 > > NVidia).
6 >
7 > What I mean by better support is easy install and configuration. In the
8 > Windows
9 > I just install the driver and the driver is responsible for offloading or
10 > switching the chips.
11 > I spent a couple of hours to configure it and gave up, because it is not
12 > easy to configure or
13 > even easy to troubleshoot.
14
15 It is still easy:
16 emerge bumblebee
17 rc-update add bumblebee default
18
19 That's all I did and it works.
20
21 With Linux, I just add "optirun " in front of the command in the program-menu
22 item.
23 On MS Windows, I need to:
24 1) Start the program
25 2) Stop the program
26 3) Configure the driver to use the NVidia chipset for the program (It doesn't
27 show in the list before I start it once)
28
29 And for a lot of these, I need to redo it every time I update the drivers.
30
31 > > A single GPU makes things simpler, but being able to have the best of both
33 > > 1) Intel = low power = long battery life
34 > > 2) Nvidia = good quality 3D, but shorter battery life
35 > >
36 > > The NVidia chip is actually switched off when not being used. (Or if not,
37 > > I
38 > > wouldn't notice as the battery life is significantly better after
39 > > installing
40 > > bumblebee and running the bumblebee service.)
41 >
42 > Thats right for the current setup, but it is possible to have a laptop with
43 > a powerful Intel GPU, right?
44
45 If there is a powerful Intel GPU. But those don't come close to the specs
46 NVidia and ATI put into the real GPUs.
49 Joost