From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kmail2 - I have not given up ... yet
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2015 13:16:42
1 On Tuesday 29 Dec 2015 12:39:18 J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Tuesday, December 29, 2015 10:51:57 AM Mick wrote:
3 > > On Tuesday 29 Dec 2015 10:20:23 J. Roeleveld wrote:
4 > > > On Tuesday, December 29, 2015 09:53:24 AM Mick wrote:
5
6 > > This is good to know. An earlier akonadi bug would actually delete files
7 > > on the server. O_O
8 >
9 > Hmm... must have missed that one...
10 > Are you sure that also affected IMAP connections?
11
12 Yes, I remember reading about some bug between akonadi and mysql. akonadi
13 would push its corruption to the IMAP4 server, deleting a tonne of messages.
14
15 I also remember a Mr A McKinnon having a well earned rant on this same M/L
16 when he was trying out Kmail2, quite likely still in ~arch at the time.
19 > > I take this to mean that the Kmail interface does not freeze up and you
20 > > can continue to read/delete messages, change folders, etc.?
21 >
22 > Yes, with only the following comment: When moving large (1000+) amounts of
23 > messages to a different folder, let the interface show it as finished
24 > before doing something else with KMail.
25
26 Cool, so as long I delete a few messages at a time, it should be OK.
29 > > Thank you Joost, this is very useful to know. What do you mean by
30 > > "haven't had to restart the mail cache"? Do you mean you did not have
31 > > to delete the akonadi database(s) and restart it?
32 >
33 > Yes, restarting the mail cache is: delete everything and start over....
34 >
35 > Don't forget, akonadi-storage has 2 parts:
36 > 1) The database (mysql or postgresql)
37 > 2) Files
38 >
39 > The 2 are linked and need to be kept in sync.
40 > This is important for backups and cleanup.
41
42 Yes, there are a number of files and databases in my current setup (Kmail1
43 with sqlite3) under .local/share/ including akonadi, baloo, et al.
46 Regards,
47 Mick