From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kmail2 - I have not given up ... yet
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2015 12:39:35
1 On Tuesday, December 29, 2015 10:51:57 AM Mick wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 29 Dec 2015 10:20:23 J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 > > On Tuesday, December 29, 2015 09:53:24 AM Mick wrote:
4 > > > Have you been able to use Kmail2 reliably on a *laptop*? What problems
5 > > > have you experienced? Has intermittent network availability caused loss
6 > > > of messages? Any gotchas and workarounds? Any suggestions?
7 > >
8 > > I have been using Kmail2 for a couple of years now (ever since it became
9 > > stable in portage)
10 > > I had some issues over this time as well, but as I had already switched
11 > > over to IMAP over 10 years ago, I never actually lost any emails and could
12 > > easily fix this by deleting the local file-cache and database.
13 >
14 > This is good to know. An earlier akonadi bug would actually delete files on
15 > the server. O_O
16
17 Hmm... must have missed that one...
18 Are you sure that also affected IMAP connections?
19
20 > > Currently I run it on my laptop (quad-core, 16GB ram, SSD) succesfully.
21 >
22 > Hmm ... my laptop is also quad-core, but has only 4G RAM. I hope this is
23 > not going to be a problem.
24
25 4GB?
26 Not sure, it's lower then my desktop:
27 quad-core, 8GB, spinning rust
28
29 The desktop also manages to run it all.
30
31 Personally, I wouldn't use a system with less than 8GB anymore. I only settled
32 for 16GB for my laptop as the 32GB versions were too bulky and expensive.
33 (Mind you, I do run VMs on this laptop)
34
35 % free -m
36 total used free shared buff/cache available
37 Mem: 16010 1333 737 414 13939
38 14157
39 Swap: 17407 196 17211
40
41 % uptime
42 13:38:21 up 5 days, 22:07, 3 users, load average: 0.23, 0.23, 0.41
43
44 (I tend to hibernate/suspend-to-disk my laptop when not using it)
45
46 > > Here is how I set it up:
47 > > 1) Run Postgresql
48 > > 2) I run the DB "natively" (eg. do NOT let akonadi start an "embedded" db)
49 > > 3) Configure mail accounts (including GMail) as IMAP
50 > > 4) Configure mail accounts to keep a copy locally
51 > >
52 > > Apart from a lengthy synchronize period (I do have emails dating back to
53 > > 1997 on the server) and occasionally a process going up to 100%, it
54 > > doesn't prevent me from actually using the laptop for other things.
55 >
56 > I take this to mean that the Kmail interface does not freeze up and you can
57 > continue to read/delete messages, change folders, etc.?
58
59 Yes, with only the following comment: When moving large (1000+) amounts of
60 messages to a different folder, let the interface show it as finished before
61 doing something else with KMail.
62
63 > Thank you Joost, this is very useful to know. What do you mean by "haven't
64 > had to restart the mail cache"? Do you mean you did not have to delete the
65 > akonadi database(s) and restart it?
66
67 Yes, restarting the mail cache is: delete everything and start over....
68
69 Don't forget, akonadi-storage has 2 parts:
70 1) The database (mysql or postgresql)
71 2) Files
72
73 The 2 are linked and need to be kept in sync.
74 This is important for backups and cleanup.
75
76 In this respect, it's similar to other applications that work with databases
77 and files, like Gallery (2 and 3), Piwigo, some large BI applications made by
78 large corporations,....
81 Joost