From: Shawn Haggett <podge@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Constant Load 1.00+ on new Toshiba laptop
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 06:13:35
1 On Wednesday 18 February 2009 16:24:45 Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 4:50 PM, Beau Henderson <beau@××××××××××××.com>
3 wrote:
4 > > G'day,
5 > >
6 > > I was wondering if anyone might have any idea's as to what is causing my
7 > > new Toshiba A300 Satelite to idle at a load of 1.00 when not in use.
8 > > Right after boot up it settles at 1.00 when I do nothing. I'm not seeing
9 > > anything out of ordinary in dmesg ( asside from an non issue with legacy
10 > > usb and sd and sr drivers in the kernel ).
11 > >
12 > > I had Ubuntu on this thing for a week or so as I needed something quick
13 > > fast when my workstation chipfan died on me and this wasn't an issue when
14 > > I had that installed so I think I can rule out hardware. Also, its not an
15 > > issue when I boot up via live cd ( sysrescuecd ).
16 > >
17 > > I've tried different cpufreq governors ( default is ondemand ) and that
18 > > doesn't appear to be an issue.
19 > >
20 > > Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
21 > >
22 > > Thanks.
23 >
24 > I've never known what those numbers represent (I know it is "load
25 > average", but what it means, and what is the range, I have no idea)...
26 > Anyway, it seems mine are always around 1+. It's not perfectly idle
27 > but not running seti or anything intensive either.
28
29 I remember trying to google the meaning of those numbers once. It was VERY
30 hard to find out what they were. It's something like, average number of
31 processes in the running or ready to run states for the last 1, 5 & 15
32 minutes.
33
34 Shawn