From: Matt Harrison <iwasinnamuknow@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Constant Load 1.00+ on new Toshiba laptop
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 13:34:35
1 Shawn Haggett wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 18 February 2009 16:24:45 Paul Hartman wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 4:50 PM, Beau Henderson <beau@××××××××××××.com>
5 >>
6 > wrote:
7 >
8 >>> G'day,
9 >>>
10 >>> I was wondering if anyone might have any idea's as to what is causing my
11 >>> new Toshiba A300 Satelite to idle at a load of 1.00 when not in use.
12 >>> Right after boot up it settles at 1.00 when I do nothing. I'm not seeing
13 >>> anything out of ordinary in dmesg ( asside from an non issue with legacy
14 >>> usb and sd and sr drivers in the kernel ).
15 >>>
16 >>> I had Ubuntu on this thing for a week or so as I needed something quick
17 >>> fast when my workstation chipfan died on me and this wasn't an issue when
18 >>> I had that installed so I think I can rule out hardware. Also, its not an
19 >>> issue when I boot up via live cd ( sysrescuecd ).
20 >>>
21 >>> I've tried different cpufreq governors ( default is ondemand ) and that
22 >>> doesn't appear to be an issue.
23 >>>
24 >>> Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
25 >>>
26 >>> Thanks.
27 >>>
28 >> I've never known what those numbers represent (I know it is "load
29 >> average", but what it means, and what is the range, I have no idea)...
30 >> Anyway, it seems mine are always around 1+. It's not perfectly idle
31 >> but not running seti or anything intensive either.
34 > I remember trying to google the meaning of those numbers once. It was VERY
35 > hard to find out what they were. It's something like, average number of
36 > processes in the running or ready to run states for the last 1, 5 & 15
37 > minutes.
38 >
39 > Shawn
42 googling "load average" brings me to