From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: DVD RW (recommendations
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 23:33:44
1 James wrote:
2 > Hello
3 >
4 > SATA or Eide on DVD rw choices (internal unit).
5 >
6 > Any cheap DVD rw that have success writing to
7 > the many forms of rw DVDS, that one
8 > would recommend?
9 >
10 > Any bands (plextor?) to avoid on gentoo?
11
12 Instead of recommending what I have, I'll recommend what disc burning
13 lunatics recommend (the folks from cdfreaks.com for example): The LG LS
14 GH20LS15 is an excellent burner with very good write quality (read: your
15 discs will live longer). It's a CD/DVD+R/DVD-R/Dual Layer combo burner.
16 It's also very cheap (16 bucks here; that is Euros). It's a SATA drive.
17
18 If you can't find the exact model, any LG model with "GH20" in the name
19 will do. Make sure NOT to get a "GH22" model (like GH22LS30). Those
20 have poor write quality due to a different chipset that doesn't perform
21 well.