From: "Håkon Alstadheim" <hakon@×××××××××××××××.no>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] installing Gentoo as a xen guest
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2015 12:55:51
1 Den 26. sep. 2015 14:00, skrev J. Roeleveld:
2 >
3 >> Depending on your hardware you will want to use hvm or pvm for
4 >> efficiency. (VT-x means hvm is more efficient).
5 > What do you base this on?
6 > Without VT-x, HVM doesn't even work, which means PV is only option.
7 I stand corrected :/ .
8
9 I'l refrain from confusing the issue further, I believe I was thinking
10 VT-d. This
11 <http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_Project_Software_Overview#Guest_Types> is
12 the right place to learn about guest types :). Some of the alphabet-soup
13 is explained here <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86_virtualization>
14
15 The rule of thumb I live by for my private, ad-hoc systems is: since I
16 have hardware support for virtualization and also VT-d, I use it, and I
17 keep references handy while i configure things :-D.
20 > With VT-x, PV still has higher performance as the drivers inside the guest
21 > talk directly to the host.
24 PV on HVM will be best of both worlds, and drivers are available at
25 least for windows and linux, so I was taking pv drivers as a given.
26 Also, where I said VT-x read VT-d.
27
28 >> If running hvm on
29 >> quemu-xen-traditional, you HAVE to use a bootloader inside the VM, or
30 >> some kind of netboot/pvgrub thing. If running upstream quemu for a hvm,
31 >> you can choose. I find it less of a hassle to use bootloader inside the
32 >> VM.
33 > It's simple, if you don't have full access to the host.
34 > If you have full access, it's actually simpler as you don't have to worry
35 > about boot-order, partitioning and a bootloader.
36 I'm sure you are right, it is just pvgrub is an extra piece of kit I
37 haven't bothered learning. I'll go back to lurking now :-~