From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] installing Gentoo as a xen guest
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2015 12:00:58
1 On Thursday, September 24, 2015 03:33:28 PM Håkon Alstadheim wrote:
2 > Den 24. sep. 2015 14:53, skrev Rich Freeman:
3 > > On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 6:05 AM, hw <hw@×××××.de> wrote:
4 > >> Hi,
5 > >>
6 > >> I'm installing Gentoo as a xen PV guest. Do I need to install a
7 > >> bootloader
8 > >> like grub, or should I rather just specify the kernel to boot in the
9 > >> definition file of the guest? If I do the latter, what about the kernel
10 > >> command line?
11 > >>
12 > >> Is there anything I should consider? The host is also running Gentoo.
13 > >
14 > > You can do either. I suspect it would be easier to just use grub. I
15 > > don't know if xen provides a way to provide a command-line, if not you
16 > > could build a default command-line into your kernel.
17 >
18 > Depending on your hardware you will want to use hvm or pvm for
19 > efficiency. (VT-x means hvm is more efficient).
20
21 What do you base this on?
22 Without VT-x, HVM doesn't even work, which means PV is only option.
23
24 With VT-x, PV still has higher performance as the drivers inside the guest
25 talk directly to the host.
26
27 > If running hvm on
28 > quemu-xen-traditional, you HAVE to use a bootloader inside the VM, or
29 > some kind of netboot/pvgrub thing. If running upstream quemu for a hvm,
30 > you can choose. I find it less of a hassle to use bootloader inside the
31 > VM.
32
33 It's simple, if you don't have full access to the host.
34 If you have full access, it's actually simpler as you don't have to worry
35 about boot-order, partitioning and a bootloader.
36
37 > If running pv, I BELIEVE you have to specify kernel and boot options
38 > outside the VM-image, possibly through pvgrub. Pvgrub is supposed to be
39 > able to fish out kernel and initrd from the VM disk. I never bothered to
40 > get that working. Here is an example excerpt from a PVM I use (for a
41 > debian vm):
42 > --print.pvm---
43 > builder = "generic"
44 > kernel = "/etc/xen/wheezy/vmlinuz-3.16.0-0.bpo.4-amd64"
45 > ramdisk = "/etc/xen/wheezy/initrd.img-3.16.0-0.bpo.4-amd64"
46 > extra = "root=/dev/xvda console=hvc0 tmem"
47 > --
48 > For explanation check "man xl.cfg". When you specify
49 > kernel&ramdisk&parameters in the vm config, you do NOT need a /boot/
50 > directory on your vm. Obviously when you build a kernel inside the vm,
51 > it will end up in /boot, so you have to provide a way for the
52 > dom0/hypervisor to load your kernel, either (when using full
53 > virtualization) a regular boot-loader inside the vm, or (for a PV guest)
54 > through some other means to let the dom0/hypervisor load your image.
57 Joost