From: Zeerak Mustafa Waseem <zeerak.w@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: help
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 22:04:41
1 On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 11:36:59PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Monday 22 March 2010 21:21:26 KH wrote:
3 > > Am 22.03.2010 20:17, schrieb Mick:
4 > > > TBH, I wouldn't pay money for it but as many OEM impose a MSWindows tax
5 > > > on all of us I had no other option if I wanted to buy this particular
6 > > > laptop.
7 > >
8 > > You can refuse the license agreement and give windows back. If you are
9 > > lucky, the vendor will give you some money back.
10 > >
11 > > kh
14 > Yeah right, good luck with that.
15 >
16 > Three people in my entire country are known to have gotten that right, 2 from
17 > Toshiba. In all three cases, the hardware vendor refunded the cost as a PR
18 > exercise.
19 >
20 > Microsoft are dead sneaky about this one, at least under ZA law. The hardware
21 > vendor accepted the license to install it (remember it's on OEM install not a
22 > box set), and you buy the hardware knowing full well that it comes with
23 > Windows. That's part of the deal and there is no deal on the table where the
24 > machine does not have Windows.
25 >
26 > There is nothing unfair about this. No vendor has a *duty* so sell you what
27 > you want and they cannot be forced to. Microsoft does not enforce that vendors
28 > sell Windows-only machines (and they proved as such to the relevant
29 > Commission). Vendors almost uniformly virtually every model with Windows, the
30 > exceptions are low grade machines the no sane person would buy today, and
31 > servers). This is not even anti-competitive, the vendor can sell what they
32 > like and can offer only a certain OS of they choose. Much like a Toyota dealer
33 > is perfectly free to sell only Toyotas and cannot be forced to offer Hondas as
34 > well.
37 > --
38 > alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
41 Well you I'll have to agree with you that it's not unfiar or anything else as such.
42 I do however think that it would be benefitial to the consumer if the market was more open than it's current state.
43 That being said we do have the option to buy costumized computers without the MS tax.
46 Zeerak Waseem