From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Zeerak Mustafa Waseem <zeerak.w@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: help
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 22:13:14
1 On Tuesday 23 March 2010 00:02:54 Zeerak Mustafa Waseem wrote:
2 > On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 11:36:59PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > On Monday 22 March 2010 21:21:26 KH wrote:
4 > > > Am 22.03.2010 20:17, schrieb Mick:
5 > > > > TBH, I wouldn't pay money for it but as many OEM impose a MSWindows
6 > > > > tax on all of us I had no other option if I wanted to buy this
7 > > > > particular laptop.
8 > > >
9 > > > You can refuse the license agreement and give windows back. If you are
10 > > > lucky, the vendor will give you some money back.
11 > > >
12 > > > kh
13 > >
14 > > Yeah right, good luck with that.
15 > >
16 > > Three people in my entire country are known to have gotten that right, 2
17 > > from Toshiba. In all three cases, the hardware vendor refunded the cost
18 > > as a PR exercise.
19 > >
20 > > Microsoft are dead sneaky about this one, at least under ZA law. The
21 > > hardware vendor accepted the license to install it (remember it's on OEM
22 > > install not a box set), and you buy the hardware knowing full well that
23 > > it comes with Windows. That's part of the deal and there is no deal on
24 > > the table where the machine does not have Windows.
25 > >
26 > > There is nothing unfair about this. No vendor has a *duty* so sell you
27 > > what you want and they cannot be forced to. Microsoft does not enforce
28 > > that vendors sell Windows-only machines (and they proved as such to the
29 > > relevant Commission). Vendors almost uniformly virtually every model
30 > > with Windows, the exceptions are low grade machines the no sane person
31 > > would buy today, and servers). This is not even anti-competitive, the
32 > > vendor can sell what they like and can offer only a certain OS of they
33 > > choose. Much like a Toyota dealer is perfectly free to sell only Toyotas
34 > > and cannot be forced to offer Hondas as well.
35 >
36 > Well you I'll have to agree with you that it's not unfiar or anything else
37 > as such. I do however think that it would be benefitial to the consumer if
38 > the market was more open than it's current state. That being said we do
39 > have the option to buy costumized computers without the MS tax.
40
41 It's not all dark in this tunnel. There is light at the end, and no, it's not
42 the train's headlights ;-)
43
44 Customer demand is still the best way to get providers to change their
45 offerings. We who want OS-less machines, or machines with Linux, might be few
46 today, but that doesn't have to be true for tomorrow.
50 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com