From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: help
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 04:45:48
1 On 22 Mar 2010, at 22:09, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 >>> ....
3 >>> There is nothing unfair about this. No vendor has a *duty* so sell
4 >>> you
5 >>> what you want and they cannot be forced to. Microsoft does not
6 >>> enforce
7 >>> that vendors sell Windows-only machines (and they proved as such
8 >>> to the
9 >>> relevant Commission). ...
10 >>
11 >> Well you I'll have to agree with you that it's not unfiar or
12 >> anything else
13 >> as such. I do however think that it would be benefitial to the
14 >> consumer if
15 >> the market was more open than it's current state. That being said
16 >> we do
17 >> have the option to buy costumized computers without the MS tax.
18 >
19 > It's not all dark in this tunnel. There is light at the end, and no,
20 > it's not
21 > the train's headlights ;-)
22 >
23 > Customer demand is still the best way to get providers to change their
24 > offerings. We who want OS-less machines, or machines with Linux,
25 > might be few
26 > today, but that doesn't have to be true for tomorrow.
27
28 The problem is that manufacturers subsidise the cost of the PC by
29 preinstalling junk on them.
30
31 They install Norton or McAfee anti-virus with a "free" 3 month
32 subscription, because Norton or McAfee give them a kickback. I would
33 imagine this is in the region of $10 - $20. They install desktop
34 shortcuts to eBay, to Big Fish Games (or whatever it's called) set the
35 browser's homepage and the default search shows more ads than useful
36 results. They probably get a penny a click on those, but over the
37 lifetime of a computer, this can add up.
38
39 In all I wouldn't be surprised if the crapware on a new PC pays more
40 than the Windows license costs the manufacturer. Selling PCs with a
41 blank hard-drive would cost them money, therefore! The cost of porting
42 browser toolbars and "search redirect" hijackers to enable them to
43 sell Linux-based PCs is just not worth the effort, and a Linux user is
44 more likely to uninstall them, anyway.
45
46 Manufacturers accept that some of the PCs they sell will have Windows
47 wiped and Linux installed, but they don't have to like or encourage
48 it. :(
49
50 I very much dislike Microsoft's abuse of its monopoly position, but I
51 don't have any easy answers right now.
52
53 Stroller.