From: "b.n." <brullonulla@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Mounting USB Flash Drive
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2006 00:42:37
1 > Anyways, I've been working to try and mount my USB Flash disk so that
2 > I can use the stuff I backed up from my old Kubuntu install. However,
3 > /dev/sda1 isn't in /etc/fstab, though usbfs is in /etc/mtab.
4 >
5 > Well, I've narrowed it down to at least one thing: I don't have a
6 > mount point for my poor USB Disk.
7
8 If you have and /etc/fstab, and you already know your usb flash disk is
9 /dev/sda1, well, just add the right fstab entry.
10 Mine looks this way:
11
12 /dev/sda1 /mnt/removable vfat noauto,async,user,exec 0 0
13
14 > I looked through *all* the 1,400
15 > some-odd lines in the mount command's man page, however, I got no
16 > clues, not even a related command. I also # ls /bin to see if there
17 > was anything there... I didn't see anything that made sense to me.
18
19 your effort is nice, but have you thought about Google or another search
20 engine?
21
22 > I've only ever mounted stuff using the graphical tool that Kubuntu
23 > supplied, so that's where my ignorance comes from.
24
25 I think you refer to the
26 "hey-my-usb-disk-appears-magically-on-my-desktop!" trick. I guess it's
27 managed by HAL, you can have it on Gentoo too (don't ask me for info,
28 since I don't use it)
29
30 m.
31 --