From: Lord Sauron <lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Mounting USB Flash Drive
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2006 00:48:11
1 On 3/31/06, b.n. <brullonulla@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > > Anyways, I've been working to try and mount my USB Flash disk so that
3 > > I can use the stuff I backed up from my old Kubuntu install. However,
4 > > /dev/sda1 isn't in /etc/fstab, though usbfs is in /etc/mtab.
5 > >
6 > > Well, I've narrowed it down to at least one thing: I don't have a
7 > > mount point for my poor USB Disk.
8 >
9 > If you have and /etc/fstab, and you already know your usb flash disk is
10 > /dev/sda1, well, just add the right fstab entry.
11 > Mine looks this way:
12
13 I can just nano /etc/fstab and add /dev/sda1? I thought fstab was
14 generated by the machine or something, and that it isn't a terribly
15 good idea to edit it.
16
17 I'll try that now.
18
19 > /dev/sda1 /mnt/removable vfat noauto,async,user,exec 0 0
20
21 I don't have a /mnt directory. Should I just create one?
22
23 > > I looked through *all* the 1,400
24 > > some-odd lines in the mount command's man page, however, I got no
25 > > clues, not even a related command. I also # ls /bin to see if there
26 > > was anything there... I didn't see anything that made sense to me.
27 >
28 > your effort is nice, but have you thought about Google or another search
29 > engine?
30
31 Not until line 1,200... oh, and I wasn't connected at the time, so...
32 I hope you understand : )
33
34 > > I've only ever mounted stuff using the graphical tool that Kubuntu
35 > > supplied, so that's where my ignorance comes from.
36 >
37 > I think you refer to the
38 > "hey-my-usb-disk-appears-magically-on-my-desktop!" trick. I guess it's
39 > managed by HAL, you can have it on Gentoo too (don't ask me for info,
40 > since I don't use it)
41
42 No, I had to manually create a mount point via the GUI and then enable
43 the thing and all this stuff. Then KDE just looked at /media and
44 slapped that on my desktop. I mounted my windows partition (back when
45 I had one) on /media so that I could have that on my desktop too.
49 GCS d-(++) s+: a? C++ UL+>++++ P+
50 L++ E--- W+(+++) N++ o? K? w--- O? M+
51 V? PS- PE+ Y-(--) PGP- t+++ 5? X R tv-- b+
52 DI+++ D+ G e* h- !r !y
53 ========= END GCv3.12 ========
56 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list