From: "b.n." <brullonulla@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Mounting USB Flash Drive
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2006 01:14:24
1 > I can just nano /etc/fstab and add /dev/sda1?
2
3 Not only you can: you actually have to! :)
4 Check the Gentoo handbook for details. When I did install Gentoo (in
5 december 2004), I had to write *all* my fstab by hand, I don't know if
6 now it's different.
7
8 > I thought fstab was
9 > generated by the machine or something, and that it isn't a terribly
10 > good idea to edit it.
11
12 A fstab file is ususally generated by the operating system installer,
13 but, being it a plain text configuration file, it is thought to be
14 editable by root. It has a pretty straightforward syntaxis.
15
16 The machine-generated thing you shouldn't touch, instead, is /etc/mtab.
17 This one contains the *current* state of mounted devices.
18
19 > I don't have a /mnt directory. Should I just create one?
20
21 Well, you have to create an empty directory to use as a mountpoint. I
22 create them inside a /mnt directory, but that's just "historical habit".
23 Many distro I see around now use /media as a root directory for
24 removable media mountpoints. Nothing stops you from using
25 /home/sauron/whatever, although I feel symlinks are a cleaner way to
26 access mount points from your home...
27
28 > No, I had to manually create a mount point via the GUI and then enable
29 > the thing and all this stuff. Then KDE just looked at /media and
30 > slapped that on my desktop. I mounted my windows partition (back when
31 > I had one) on /media so that I could have that on my desktop too.
32
33 That's the same of writing on the fstab, but managed by a gui instead of
34 done by hand (editing fstab is really easy once you manage the logic of it).
35
36 m.
37 --
38 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list