From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] scrollback using framebuffer
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 08:28:40
1 On Tuesday 17 November 2009 07:48:21 Maxim Wexler wrote:
2 > > CONFIG_FB=y
3 > > CONFIG_FB_BOOT_VESA_SUPPORT=y
4 > > CONFIG_FB_CFB_FILLRECT=y
5 > > CONFIG_FB_CFB_COPYAREA=y
6 > > CONFIG_FB_CFB_IMAGEBLIT=y
7 > > CONFIG_FB_VESA=y
8 > > CONFIG_VGACON_SOFT_SCROLLBACK=y
9 > > CONFIG_VGACON_SOFT_SCROLLBACK_SIZE=256
10 >
11 > Identical to mine.
12 >
13 > > I have no settings for scrollback on the kernel command line, just this
14 > > to set
15 > > the resolution etc:
16 > >
17 > > vga=0x37D ywrap mtrr:4
18 >
19 > Sure about this? 0x37D is not a recognized mode. Are you missing some
20 > punctuation?
21
22 Nope, that's exactly how it is in grub. I have a 1920x1440 screen and I get as
23 many 8x8 characters as can fit
24
25 I got the 0x37D parameter by the table shown with vga=ask
26
27 > my line is: video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr vga=0x318. Is this syntax
28 > correct? There seems to be a variety out there. Mine only scrolls a
29 > few lines, doesn't matter If I give scrollback 128 or 256k. But there
30 > are no errors, so I must be doing something right. Tried ypan too, no
31 > luck.
32
33 And I get 32k worth of scrollback. There's a setting for this in menuconfig:
34
35 Device Drivers -> Graphics support -> Console display driver support
36
37 what is yours set to?
38
39 I must admit, the fb situation is very confusing and the Documentation
40 directory seems to be a mixture of old, new, wrong and just flat out obsolete
41 stuff. One has to read the code to find out what is supported it seems
44 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com