From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] genkernal refuses to finish - no initrd
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 10:37:11
1 Installing from scratch, using networked install, I've built two
2 kernels from 2.6.14 sources, each time the mods I'd listed autoload
3 fail to be loaded and are apparently never built.
4
5 I resorted to usign genkernel since in the past that has always
6 provided a working kernel and initrd. And sufficient modules.
7
8 This time, with current gentoo-sources, genkernel fails to complete.
9 I've left it alone for over an hour, in two attempts now. It
10 never returns a prompt and worse, no initrd appears in boot.
11
12 Running `genkernel --udev all' as directed by manual. after first
13 having:
14 zcat /proc/config.gz > /usr/share/genkernel/x86/kernel-config-2.6
15
16 Again, as directed.
17
18 The manual does mention:
19
20 "genkernel compiles a kernel that supports almost all hardware, this
21 compilation will take quite a while to finish!"
22
23 This is on a 2Ghz P4. Can anyone comment on how long `Quite a while'
24 might be? I don't recall spending over an hour on this in past installs.
25
26 Or alternatively it seems one could just use /proc/config.gz as
27 /usr/src/linux/.config and run it manually. Except I'm at a loss as
28 to how an intitrd is built manually from a kernel compile.
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list