From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] genkernal refuses to finish - no initrd
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 11:09:30
1 On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 04:24:26 -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:
4 > Or alternatively it seems one could just use /proc/config.gz as
5 > /usr/src/linux/.config and run it manually. Except I'm at a loss as
6 > to how an intitrd is built manually from a kernel compile.
7
8 You don't need an initrd when compiling your own kernel. genkernel uses
9 it because it needs modules for everything, including the kitchen sink,
10 available to the kernel before mounting the root filesystem. Compiling
11 them into the kernel would make it bloated. When you compile a kernel
12 manually, you choose which modules you need in the kernel, build those in
13 and either leave the rest out or compile them as separate modules.
14
15 Genkernel is intended to make things easier, and it may do when things
16 work as they should, but I find it makes life more difficult when
17 anything goes wrong. Building a kernel manually is not rocket science, it
18 is easier in the long run.
22 Neil Bothwick
23
24 An expert is nothing more than an ordinary person away from home.