From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo or Linux from Scratch - Perspectives?
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 22:02:35
1 Nick Rout schreef:
2 > On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 13:12:31 -0700
3 > Zac Medico wrote:
6 >>Hi Paul,
7 >>
8 >>Are we really far behind? That's difficult to believe. For what packages specifically? Do
9 >
10 > you know how to unmask unstable packages (marked M or M~ at
11 > packages.gentoo.org)?
12 >
13 > Unstable does not really cut it IMHO. I am a gentoo enthusiast through
14 > and through, but plonking something in portage with a ~ beside it does
15 > not constitute a release of a recent version IMHO.
16 >
17 OK, I'll bite. What then do you consider "a release of a recent version"
18 to be constituted from?
19
20 If it's been released upstream, and it's in Portage a couple of hours
21 later, so I can install it, I don't know what more you could want....
22 what, you want a Mandrake- (or worse, still, Debian) -style wait of
23 months before you can use the upstream version?
24
25 I'll grant you that it's sometimes a little bumpy... but then you might
26 as well be running Slack or something (not that there's anything wrong
27 with Slackware except the appalling package management).
28
29 But since I have yet to find a problem I couldn't solve in a few
30 minutes-- and if I couldn't, it was clearly a dev issue/b.g.o issue,
31 where I could generally count on it to be solved within hours, if not
32 prior to my discovery-- I really can't quite see what you're on about.
33
34 What would be different in the Gentoo you envision?
35
36 Holly
37 --
38 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list