From: Paul Hoy <paul.hoy@×××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo or Linux from Scratch - Perspectives?
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 01:01:32
1 See inline
4 On Aug 14, 2005, at 5:51 PM, Holly Bostick wrote:
5
6 > Nick Rout schreef:
7 >
8 >> On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 13:12:31 -0700
9 >> Zac Medico wrote:
13 >>> Hi Paul,
14 >>>
15 >>> Are we really far behind? That's difficult to believe. For what
16 >>> packages specifically? Do
17 >>>
18 >>
19 >> you know how to unmask unstable packages (marked M or M~ at
20 >> packages.gentoo.org)?
21 >>
22 >> Unstable does not really cut it IMHO. I am a gentoo enthusiast
23 >> through
24 >> and through, but plonking something in portage with a ~ beside it
25 >> does
26 >> not constitute a release of a recent version IMHO.
29 > OK, I'll bite. What then do you consider "a release of a recent
30 > version"
31 > to be constituted from?
34 I don't really understand your question. The most recent version to
35 me coincides to a release date closest to whatever today is.
36
37 > If it's been released upstream, and it's in Portage a couple of hours
38 > later, so I can install it, I don't know what more you could want....
39 > what, you want a Mandrake- (or worse, still, Debian) -style wait of
40 > months before you can use the upstream version?
43 I don't agree with you. There are many examples where a file that has
44 been released upstream has not found its way into Portage. I've
45 provided examples elsewhere in this thread. You can also compare with
46 the Fedora feedlist.
49 > I'll grant you that it's sometimes a little bumpy... but then you
50 > might
51 > as well be running Slack or something (not that there's anything wrong
52 > with Slackware except the appalling package management).
55 I agree. I don't like like Slackware's package management either.
58 > But since I have yet to find a problem I couldn't solve in a few
59 > minutes-- and if I couldn't, it was clearly a dev issue/b.g.o issue,
60 > where I could generally count on it to be solved within hours, if not
61 > prior to my discovery-- I really can't quite see what you're on about.
64 Perhaps you've pointed out the difference in perspectives and
65 experience. I've run into a few problems where it has taken me longer
66 than a merely few mintues to resolve a problem.
67
68 I'm actually not "on about" anything. I'm interested in the
69 differrences/similarities between LFC and Gentoo, which I stated in
70 my original email.
71
72 > What would be different in the Gentoo you envision?
75 Well, that's actually the question I'm asking.
76
77 > Holly
78 > --
79 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list