From: Mark David Dumlao <madumlao@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] systemd installation location
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 02:05:43
1 On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 9:50 AM, Daniel Campbell <lists@××××××××.us> wrote:
2 > Anyway, I'm not in favor of FHS _per se_, but it sounds pretty
3 > reasonable to have some semblance of order among where different parts
4 > of a system go. Shoving everything into /usr and symlinking everything
5 > else seems like a stop-gap or good-enough solution that came about due
6 > to ignoring the existing standard (FHS) and refusing to try to change
7 > it. I could be wrong, though. My point is I'm not dogmatic about it; I
8 > just think that if the FOSS community were willing, a better solution
9 > could be crafted.
10
11 It's true that it's nice to have a semblance of order where different parts go.
12 But "all libraries and binaries in /usr" is also a semblance of order. You don't
13 separate stuff for the sake of separating stuff. You separate them because you
14 have a good reason to separate them. It turns out that there isn't a good reason
15 to separate them, and that there's no way to predictably separate them.
16
17 Mushing them together isn't just a stop-gap or good-enough solution. The
18 idea of keeping system-critical separate from non-critical was not maintainable
19 in the long run to begin with.
20
21 >> If you were in the shoes of the ebuild packagers, you would be hard-pressed to
22 >> predict which packages belong in the / PREFIX and which ones in /usr PREFIX,
23 >> 100 times out of 100. But you need 100 times out of 100 or you'll get
24 >> people whining
25 >> that they can't boot or whining that they need to do some migration. That's
26 >> why / and /usr separation is broken.
27 >>
28 > I agree, but perhaps the / and /usr separation is a symptom of a greater
29 > problem instead of being the problem in and of itself. Like Inception,
30 > maybe we need to go further. :P
31
32 The greater problem is what I'm pointing out already. Even in principle, you
33 just can't predict which files belong in /. It's always been a case-by-case,
34 system-by-system thing, and it just so happens that 99.9xxx% of the cases
35 are the same. Distro packagers, however, have to decide for 100% of the cases.
36 So they're going to end up making weird decisions that are easy for you to
37 second-guess but are actually tough.
38
39 If you want to solve the "hard problem", you want to create a tool that
40 will automate / and /usr migrations. Portage has to be aware of the tool
41 and maybe 100% of ebuilds will have to be rewritten to take advantage of the
42 dynamic prefixes set by the tool. That solves it for good, and you can have
43 your / and /usr separate. But only for gentoo.
44
45 Every package manager needs to have a similar tool and similar intelligence
46 for that to work.
47 --
48 This email is: [ ] actionable [x] fyi [x] social
49 Response needed: [ ] yes [x] up to you [ ] no
50 Time-sensitive: [ ] immediate [ ] soon [x] none