From: Daniel Campbell <lists@××××××××.us>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] systemd installation location
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 02:15:51
1 On 09/29/2013 09:05 PM, Mark David Dumlao wrote:
2 > On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 9:50 AM, Daniel Campbell <lists@××××××××.us> wrote:
3 >> Anyway, I'm not in favor of FHS _per se_, but it sounds pretty
4 >> reasonable to have some semblance of order among where different parts
5 >> of a system go. Shoving everything into /usr and symlinking everything
6 >> else seems like a stop-gap or good-enough solution that came about due
7 >> to ignoring the existing standard (FHS) and refusing to try to change
8 >> it. I could be wrong, though. My point is I'm not dogmatic about it; I
9 >> just think that if the FOSS community were willing, a better solution
10 >> could be crafted.
11 >
12 > It's true that it's nice to have a semblance of order where different parts go.
13 > But "all libraries and binaries in /usr" is also a semblance of order. You don't
14 > separate stuff for the sake of separating stuff. You separate them because you
15 > have a good reason to separate them. It turns out that there isn't a good reason
16 > to separate them, and that there's no way to predictably separate them.
17 >
18 > Mushing them together isn't just a stop-gap or good-enough solution. The
19 > idea of keeping system-critical separate from non-critical was not maintainable
20 > in the long run to begin with.
21 >
22 If separating them was unmaintainable, why bother with /bin and /sbin at
23 all, then? If /usr is essentially replacing what / was originally, it's
24 hard to take any filesystem standard seriously and we return to chaos.
25 What was /usr's original purpose? I'm not really in favor of the
26 separation or the merging; I'm in favor of what makes sense. For now,
27 shoving things into /usr is practical because most other software does
28 it. But that's following a trend. It's become *de facto* standard
29 instead of a well-designed, well-reasoned standard. If the change to
30 /usr was brought about because the FHS has holes in it, why not draft a
31 new FHS completely from the ground up? Sometimes a vast rewrite is
32 necessary in a standard, and the new standard could address modern
33 challenges.
34
35 >>> If you were in the shoes of the ebuild packagers, you would be hard-pressed to
36 >>> predict which packages belong in the / PREFIX and which ones in /usr PREFIX,
37 >>> 100 times out of 100. But you need 100 times out of 100 or you'll get
38 >>> people whining
39 >>> that they can't boot or whining that they need to do some migration. That's
40 >>> why / and /usr separation is broken.
41 >>>
42 >> I agree, but perhaps the / and /usr separation is a symptom of a greater
43 >> problem instead of being the problem in and of itself. Like Inception,
44 >> maybe we need to go further. :P
45 >
46 > The greater problem is what I'm pointing out already. Even in principle, you
47 > just can't predict which files belong in /. It's always been a case-by-case,
48 > system-by-system thing, and it just so happens that 99.9xxx% of the cases
49 > are the same. Distro packagers, however, have to decide for 100% of the cases.
50 > So they're going to end up making weird decisions that are easy for you to
51 > second-guess but are actually tough.
52 >
53 > If you want to solve the "hard problem", you want to create a tool that
54 > will automate / and /usr migrations. Portage has to be aware of the tool
55 > and maybe 100% of ebuilds will have to be rewritten to take advantage of the
56 > dynamic prefixes set by the tool. That solves it for good, and you can have
57 > your / and /usr separate. But only for gentoo.
58 >
59 > Every package manager needs to have a similar tool and similar intelligence
60 > for that to work.
61 >
62 I agree, but I don't see a tool like that coming up. Enforcing a /usr
63 merge and in edge cases forcing initramfs is the right *practical*
64 solution, but I don't think it solves the greater problem, which is
65 social and organizational. It may not even be a solvable problem, given
66 how vast and diverse the FOSS world is. But maybe discussion on it can
67 still be insightful, even if it can't be fruitful.