From: Mark David Dumlao <madumlao@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] systemd installation location
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 02:42:44
1 On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 10:15 AM, Daniel Campbell <lists@××××××××.us> wrote:
2 > On 09/29/2013 09:05 PM, Mark David Dumlao wrote:
3 >> On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 9:50 AM, Daniel Campbell <lists@××××××××.us> wrote:
4 >>> Anyway, I'm not in favor of FHS _per se_, but it sounds pretty
5 >>> reasonable to have some semblance of order among where different parts
6 >>> of a system go. Shoving everything into /usr and symlinking everything
7 >>> else seems like a stop-gap or good-enough solution that came about due
8 >>> to ignoring the existing standard (FHS) and refusing to try to change
9 >>> it. I could be wrong, though. My point is I'm not dogmatic about it; I
10 >>> just think that if the FOSS community were willing, a better solution
11 >>> could be crafted.
12 >>
13 >> It's true that it's nice to have a semblance of order where different parts go.
14 >> But "all libraries and binaries in /usr" is also a semblance of order. You don't
15 >> separate stuff for the sake of separating stuff. You separate them because you
16 >> have a good reason to separate them. It turns out that there isn't a good reason
17 >> to separate them, and that there's no way to predictably separate them.
18 >>
19 >> Mushing them together isn't just a stop-gap or good-enough solution. The
20 >> idea of keeping system-critical separate from non-critical was not maintainable
21 >> in the long run to begin with.
22 >>
23 > If separating them was unmaintainable, why bother with /bin and /sbin at
24 > all, then? If /usr is essentially replacing what / was originally, it's
25 > hard to take any filesystem standard seriously and we return to chaos.
26
27 The people that write software and systems and standards, etc are human. Give
28 them a break. They did the best they could.
29
30 > What was /usr's original purpose?
31 /usr was originally the home directory. Programs were moved there because
32 Unix didn't fit into a single disk.
33
34 http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/busybox/2010-December/074114.html
35
36 > If the change to
37 > /usr was brought about because the FHS has holes in it, why not draft a
38 > new FHS completely from the ground up?
39
40 At the end of the day, a standard is just a doc that people don't read. Part of
41 the reason why FHS was "successful" was because it was more than just a
42 prescriptive standard. Most of the rules in it had rationales written based
43 on existing practices.
44
45 In other words, writing a new FHS isn't going to do a damned thing to fix
46 the problems people have had so far, and there's the likelihood that people
47 won't follow it anyways. Heck, just look at /usr/portage. Portage, or at least
48 the distfiles, in no way, shape, or form, belongs in /usr. It's just
49 there because
50 that's how it was done before.
51
52 THE way to rewrite FHS is to change existing practice. And if the big distros
53 agree on it, the existing practice gets codified into a standard.
56 This email is: [ ] actionable [x] fyi [ ] social
57 Response needed: [ ] yes [ ] up to you [x] no
58 Time-sensitive: [ ] immediate [ ] soon [x] none